OPEN BURNING NOTICE
The 2017 OPEN BURNING SEASON WILL begin Monday, January 16th.
The procedure for obtaining an Open Burning Permit in the Town of Grafton for the 2017 season will be as follows:
The application for a burning permit will be filled out ONE TIME ONLY in person at the Fire Department Business Office, 26 Upton Street, during office hours. At this time you will be issued a permit number.
The office hours are:
Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Closed for lunch 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
The permit number that you are issued will be valid for the entire 2017 Burning Season, January 16th to May 1st, 2017. There is a $10.00 permit fee, due when permit is issued. This fee applies regardless of the number of times the permit is to be used.
• Each additional time one wishes to burn, a phone call would be made to the Business Office BY NOON at 839-4606, on the day burning is to be done. If you get the answering machine, choose option #2
(Services), then #2 again (Open Burning). If there is NO BURNING there will be a pre-recorded message here. If burning is allowed this is where you would leave your permit number.
• You must get permission to burn each day by NOON. A random inspection of the burn site will be made by the Fire Department.
• Large piles of brush must be broken down into smaller manageable piles.
The following is prohibited:
• Burning brush, trees, etc from commercial or institutional land clearing operations.
• Burning of grass, hay, leaves and stumps.
• Burning of tires.
• Burning during adverse conditions.
• BURNING BUILDING MATERIALS
BURNING FOR AGRICULTURAL PURPOSES:
Regulation 7.07 defines agriculture as those practices involved with the cultivation of soil for purposes of crop production and/or the raising of livestock when such crops are produced primarily for commercial food, and such livestock are raised primarily for commercial foodstuffs or for work purposes. Agricultural operations as defined as those operations which raise commercial foodstuffs and/or livestock on an area larger than one acre.
An inspection of the property will be required before an agricultural permit is issued. If allowed Agricultural Burning may be conducted from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday - Saturday. Agricultural Permits must also receive permission to burn on a daily basis.