The Board of Selectman has established senior citizen property tax work-off abatement program, in which participating taxpayers volunteer their services to the Town of Grafton in exchange for a reduction in their tax bills (125 hours max. reduction in a tax year at the current Massachusetts minimum wage rate).
The Grafton Property Tax Work-Off Abatement Program is available to:
- Residents who have reached the age of 60 or greater; and
- Residents whose household income is not greater than the Worcester County Median Low Income. The Median Low Income is set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, (one person $54,950, two persons $62,800)* and show proof of same; and
- Residents who own (or whose spouse owns the property) and have occupied that property as their principal residence for a minimum of 5 years; and
- Residents who produce a copy of the assessor’s record listing applicant and owner; and
- Residents who possess applicable skills; and
- Complete and pass a CORI; and
- Residents who sign an application and complete a W-4.
Payments will be made in the form of an abatement to the current tax bill, split between the third and fourth quarters.
Applications are available in the Senior Center office.