OPEN BURNING NOTICE
The OPEN BURNING REGULATION states that an Open Burning Permit may be issued for:
a. Open Burning of brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris-excluding grass, hay, leaves and stumps;
b. from January 15th to May 1st of each year;
c. between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm;
d. and be greater that 75 ft from any dwelling.
Cooking fires do not require a permit but notification should be made to the Fire Department to avoid unnecessary Fire Department response. For information on Open Fires in Chimineas, outdoor fire pits and fireplaces, se Guidelines For the Use of Approved Chimineas, Outdoor Fie Pits and Fireplaces..
The 2021 OPEN BURNING SEASON will begin Friday, January 15, 2021 and end on Saturday, May 1, 2021.
The procedure for obtaining an Open Burning Permit in the Town of Grafton for the 2021 season will be as follows:
**DUE TO COVID 19 Town Offices are closed. You may obtain a permit by calling 508-839-4606, emailing the Fire Department business office at email@example.com or by going to the Grafton Web Page.
-If you choose to call and get the answering machine, leave a name, address and telephone number and we will get back to you.
-If you choose to email firstname.lastname@example.org, again, leave a name, phone number and address and you will receive your permit via email. Payment can be made at the Drop Box at Fire Headquarters.
If you choose to apply via Town Website you would choose Fire Department under Departments. On the Fire Department main page click the link to contact us. Leave your name, address where the burning is to take place and a phone number. We will give you a permit number at this time and either mail, fax or email the permit to you. Mail or drop payment of $10.00 in the drop box at the entrance of Fire Headquarters, Station 1, 26 Upton Street.
The office hours are:
Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Closed for lunch for one hour
Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
The permit number that you are issued will be valid for the entire 2021 Burning Season, January 15th to May 1st, 2021. There is a $10.00 permit fee, due when permit is issued. This fee applies regardless of the number of times the permit is to be used.
• Each additional time one wishes to burn, a phone call would be made to the Business Office BY NOON at 839-4606, on the day burning is to be done. If you get the answering machine, choose option #2 (Services), then #2 again (Open Burning). If there is NO BURNING there will be a pre-recorded message here. If burning is allowed this is where you would leave your permit number.
• You must get permission to burn each day by NOON. A random inspection of the burn site will be made by the Fire Department.
• Large piles of brush must be broken down into smaller manageable piles.
The following is prohibited:
• Burning brush, trees, etc from commercial or institutional land clearing operations.
• Burning of grass, hay, leaves and stumps.
• Burning of tires.
• Burning during adverse conditions.
• BURNING BUILDING MATERIALS
BURNING FOR AGRICULTURAL PURPOSES:
Regulation 7.07 defines agriculture as those practices involved with the cultivation of soil for purposes of crop production and/or the raising of livestock when such crops are produced primarily for commercial food, and such livestock are raised primarily for commercial foodstuffs or for work purposes. Agricultural operations as defined as those operations which raise commercial foodstuffs and/or livestock on an area larger than one acre.
An inspection of the property will be required before an agricultural permit is issued. If allowed Agricultural Burning may be conducted from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday - Saturday. Agricultural Permits must also receive permission to burn on a daily basis.