Business Certificates (DBA)

Doing Business As

The purpose of a Business Certificate, also known as a D/B/A (Doing Business As), is to disclose business ownership information. Many banks consider it a requirement for opening a business banking account.

Massachusetts General Laws, Ch.110 § 5 require that all businesses operating under any title other than the real name of the person conducting the business, whether individually or as partnership, obtain a Business Certificate.

A Business Certificate is not required if any corporation is doing business under its true corporate name, nor is it required to any partnership doing business under any title which includes the true surname of any partner. For details, refer to Massachusetts General Laws, Ch.110 § 6.

Home Based Business

If the business is located in your home, please inquire with the ZBA/Building Department to ensure you are zoned to conduct such business.

Business Certificate (DBA)

The Business Certificate is valid for four (4) years and costs $50, cash or check made payable to the Town of Grafton, or charge (additional bank fees apply). Applicants must apply in person at the Town Clerk's office with valid photo ID and all owners of the business must be present to sign the documents. The forms required are available in the Town Clerk's office and may be filled out between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.

A Business Certificate does not protect your business name or trademark. For details regarding incorporating your business, starting a Limited Liability Company, or protecting your trademark, visit the Secretary of State's website at